The Contract Administrator will work directly with Business Development personnel, Operations Management, Estimators, Project Managers and CEO. The Contract Administrator will be responsible for reviewing, negotiating and administering contractual terms and conditions in accordance with company policies and the specific business unit – including drafting the full range of contract documents for Subcontractors, reviewing, administering, and executing General Contracts.
Knowledge of boilerplate language including but not limited to: standards related to indemnity, performance and payment, delay claims, defect litigation, surety, termination, and arbitration.
- Advise on the terms and risks of the contractual documents
- Assist with risk identification of each project and participate in presentations to APTIM's risk committee
- Revise contractual documents as necessary in accordance with procedures and risk evaluation of each project
- Coordinate review of contractual documents with Legal, Risk Management, Tax, Finance, Health & Safety, Quality Assurance, Business Development, Operations, and other departments as necessary
- Support attorneys with review and client negotiation of contractual documents
- Review internal project setup forms to ensure that a properly reviewed and approved contract is in place and ensure the information provided on the project setup form is consistent with the information in the contract
- Provide support as requested in areas of contract review, negotiation, monitoring
Competencies Required :
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience reviewing, revising and negotiating contract language for the Construction Industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products and SharePoint
- Ability to work with varied customers and clients, including commercial clients, Contractors, Subcontractors, Municipalities, and Developers
- Works independently with minimal guidance
- Analytical Skills – Demonstrated ability to gather, relate and compare data from different sources, ensure data is reliable, complete and accurate. Fully capable in questioning incomplete data on complex construction projects.
- Communications - Demonstrated ability to speak, write and listen in a manner that commands attention and respect. Demonstrated skill at listening and understanding the needs of others.
- Decision Making – Ability to analyze variables and contingencies, evaluate circumstances, assess potential outcomes and develop a logical and timely solution that is consistent with the needs of the situation.
- Financial Analysis – Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze construction cost and financial data; ability to use financial data to make accurate change order, project schedule, general conditions and other business decisions.
- Interpersonal and Negotiation Skills – Strong ability to forge solid working, trusting and partnering relationships with subcontractors, vendors and internal staff. Communicating data, position or arguments in a manner that gains acceptance or agreement to reach intended outcome. Seeks a win-win solution.
- PC Skills – Demonstrated experience and competence in office productivity tools such as Word, Excel and MS Project. Demonstrated experience in estimating and other construction project management software such as Off Center, Take Off and Construction Information Network.
- Self-Starter – Demonstrated skill at accomplishing own work without the need for close supervision. Acts based on urgency, client needs and the needs of the firm without always having to ask someone for guidance.
- Time Management – Demonstrated ability and success in accomplishing tasks by established deadlines;